Touring DateNot Available
Finnish Lapland is a magic place to spend a winter holiday at. Enjoy the authentic Lapland experience by visiting the main attractions in their winter coats and be astonished by the kaleidoscopic Aurora Borealis. Enjoy days filled with arctic excitement such as thrilling snowmobile rides, dog sledding, Icebreaking and swimming in the Arctic Sea.
Lapland, the land of the Lapps, or Sami in their language, is spread across four countries: Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Russia. Its capital is Rovaniemi which lies on the Arctic Circle. Lapland enjoys the climate of the Arctic Circle. Only in the south is there vegetation including thick forests, and in the north, great tundra’s, lakes, and water sources that remain completely frozen their entire, long winter. Lapland welcomes thousands of visitors every winter.
This is also a place to view the natural phenomenon known as the Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights. It is a very beautiful sight where fragments flow downward into the magnetic field of the earth and clash with molecules in the air, especially with chlorine and oxygen. The collision frees eruptions of beautiful colors, many times in green. If we are lucky and there is not a cloud cover, we may see this very special phenomenon.
Day 1, Wednesday 15.03.17 Tel Aviv- Rovaniemi
We will board a direct flight from Tel Aviv to Rovaniemi, capital of the Lapland region and the largest city in the north of Finland. This is known throughout the world as the place where Santa Claus prepares his gifts and sets out with his reindeer to deliver them. After landing, we will proceed to the supply center which we will receive the equipment we will need including snow suits, special socks and lined boots, gloves, and hats. Later we will take a walk through an area with a beautiful natural forest, the type where tree-cutters work, where we will experience the atmosphere of the arctic forest and witness nature at its finest. Afterwards, we will return to the hotel for dinner.
Day 2, Thursday 16.03.17: Snowmobile safari, fishing in a frozen lake
Today we will have a special unforgettable experience of this tour, this time- snow mobiling! We will travel by snowmobiles, each holding two people one of whom will drive, into the heart of the frozen landscape of the Arctic Circle area. We will drive on frozen rivers and lakes as well as through the endless forests. We will make a lunch stop next to one of the frozen lakes and we will learn the special methods used by people in the region to fish through the ice. We also will have a chance to drill through the ice. We will have a light lunch in the area and return to Rovaniemi by snowmobile. After dinner, we will walk together to an unlit area to view the natural phenomenon, the Northern Lights- this season being the most likely time for them to appear. (We will visit this night or maybe a different night depending on weather conditions such as clouds and the likelihood of seeing them.)
Day 3, Friday 17.03.17: Huskies and reindeer
After breakfast we will travel to the husky dog farm. There we will learn how the dogs are trained and how they are maintained. After some instruction, we will go out on dogsleds in the beautiful snowy terrain. As we travel, we will feel like Lapps, indigenous to the land, who have adapted to the weather. From there, we will go to a reindeer farm. We will learn about reindeer, about how they are able to live their lives under extreme weather conditions. We will have a small amount of instruction in sledge driving and will receive “reindeer sledge driving licenses.” We will eat a light lunch there. We will view a folk ceremony of the shepherds and the professional drivers who drive reindeer sledges and take care of the reindeer. Then we will return to the hotel and prepare for Shabbat. Kabbalat Shabbat, Kiddush, and dinner.
Day 4, Shabbat 18.03.17: Arktikom Museum
Morning prayers, Kiddush, and breakfast, and then we will walk over to the Arktikom Museum. There we will learn about life in the Arctic Circle in general, and in the Rovaniemi area in particular. After the tour we will return to the hotel for mincha and a Shabbat lunch. In the evening, there is a dance party in the hotel which includes first drink free (beer or soft drink), for our group only.
Day 5, Sunday 19.03.17: the frozen falls, wild animals park – Ranua
After breakfast we will travel to Fuiso area, in the eastern part of Lapland, where we will visit Koro’oma nature resort. We will walk among the woods and the snow down the valley to see special natural phenomenon – the frozen falls. Followed by light lunch, we will proceed to visit the Ranua wild animal park. The park was established in 1983 and one can visit and watch, along 2,500 meters, 55 different kinds of animals and birds in their natural living area, adapted to the arctic weather of Lapland. After lunch we will have some free time to visit and purchase chocolate products in the famous factory shop of Faiser. Then we will proceed to an open area to experience walking with snow shoes, like the Eskimos did. Tonight (or another night), we will travel to watch an ice-hockey training game between two local teams.
Day 6, Monday 20.03.17: ice breaker Sailing, ice castle, sky jumping performance
At early morning hour we will travel to Kemi port, where we will board on the Sampo ice breaker and sail into the Baltic Sea, in the frozen Botanya bay. On this sail one can learn and feel the special ability of this kind of ship to break very thick layers of ice, in order to open the way for commercial ships to enter the port. At some point the captain will turn off the engines and who ever will want to, will be able to experience floating in the freezing water, not before wearing special suits, supplied by the ships’ staff. After returning to the port we will have lunch and will proceed to visit the Lumilina ice castle that is built every year from start. Upon returning to Rovaniemi we will go to the Onosvera Olympic sight to watch sky jumpers show. After dinner we will watch a film in the hotel.
Day 7, Tuesday 21.03.17: Santa Claus village, Tel-Aviv
Today we will visit Santa Claus’s village that is located exactly on the Arctic Circle. After the visit we will return all the arctic supply that we have received upon arrival and will proceed to the airport for our flight back home.
- Arctic lending equipment, including: snow suit, boots,1 pair of socks, gloves
- Self snowmobile drive (2 on a snowmobile) including helmet
- Self riding on husky dog snow sledge (2 on a sledge)
- All visits and entrances, as shown in the itinerary
- Reindeer farm
- Santa Claus village
- Olympic sky jumping show
- Visit to the frozen falls
- Walking with snow shoes
- Ice breaker sailing
- Visit in Lumilina ice castle
- Visit in Ranua wild animal zoo
- Visit in Arkticum museum
- Watch an ice-hokey training game
- Entrance fees as per the itinerary
- Tips for local service providers
- Experienced English speaking guide
- Comfortable touring coach
- First class hotel
- Kosher half board + packed lunch. Full board on Shabbat
- For those coming from Israel: International flights and taxes
- Special gift for our travelers – basic travel & health insurance, including upgrade for winter sport. (only for those who have no medical problems and do not require medicine on a daily basis). For those with medical issues/or medicine requirements/or hospitalization in the past year, will have to expand their policy directly with the insurance company and pay the additional charge.
Price does not include:
- Personal expenses
- Tip for our tour guide (recommended: 5 euro per person per day)
- Those who want to ride the snow mobile alone with no partner, will be charged an additional 120 euro per person. (Early booking required and can be done until 1 month before departure only!)
- First class hotel, double room with shower
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free sauna and swimming pool
- Dance evening including first drink free of charge (beer or soft drink)
- Movie in one of the evenings
- Snow mobile insurance
|Tour||Date And Price|
March 15 - 22, 2017
|Price for Land only||$2,290|
|Price with flights from Tel Aviv||$2,700|
Deposit, cancellation fees & policy:
- A 400 euro deposit per person must be received at the time of booking in order to confirm your reservation. Payment in full is due 30 days before departure.
- 45 days before departure bookings are refundable less 100 euro administration fee per person
- 45-30 days prior to departure: 300 euro per person
- 30-8 days prior departure: 400 euro per person
- Less then 8 days prior departure: 100% cancellation fee – no refund
Important to know:
- All the rooms in the hotel are no smoking rooms! According to local law, a fine of 100 euro will be imposed on any one that breaks this law
- Any one driving the snowmobile must hold a driving license of any kind and must be over 18 years of age
- Children under the age of 13 are not allowed to sit in the back seat of the snow mobile
- Children under the age of 15 are not allowed to drive the dog sledge
- Following safety guidelines, children that are not allowed to sit on the dog sledge or on the back seat of the snow mobile, will be traveling on shared sleds driven by the local guide
- Children under 1.45 meter of hight, are not allowed to go down into the water from the ice breaker
- The itinerary is dependent on weather and local conditions
- There may be changes to the order of places visited
- The tour organizers have no control over airline services such as seating, special meal requests, changing in departure times or delays. These remain the sole responsibility of the airline company
Kashrut on Tours
Kosher food is provided to our travelers on all our tours. We work with the local Rabbinate to provide Hashgacha for all local ingredients and fresh meat and poultry. In some cases, we fly in kosher food from Israel and other sources, depending on the destination of the tour. We do not guarantee Pat Israel and Chalav Israel for all destinations. In many destinations we have our own crockery and cutlery. Where we don't, we provide disposables at the meals. When we cook in Hotel kitchens, we ensure proper Kashering and we use our own kitchenware on kashered and covered surfaces. All this is done under the strict supervision of our trained staff/guides who function as our Mashgichim. Our travelers enjoy gourmet meals prepared by our team including fresh local fish, fruit, and vegetables. This is an integral part of Jewish travel. We make great efforts to assure that our travelers will experience local foods first-hand, while maintaining stringent observance of Kashrut laws on all occasions.
If you are joining us for the Land Tour package only (from outside Israel) you can get an obligation free quote for your flights from Shelley@eddiestravel.com
Travel insurance encompassing both cancellation and medical insurance is very important and we cannot stress that enough. We strongly recommend that our clients are adequately insured when travelling. It is crucial to purchase the travel insurance within 14 days from the 1st payment that you make for this trip (flights/cruise/tour etc). Your payment is made directly to the insurance company. We highly recommend the 'cancel for any reason' upgrade option. Our preferred policies are Travel Safe (USA & Canadian residents), Travel Select (USA residents) and Global Trip Protection Elite (All other Nationalities).
For an obligation free quote and further details email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bookings: Due to the limited number of spaces on this tour, we urge you to please complete the attached booking form and return it to us by fax as soon as possible.